For more information about opportunities at BIO-CAT or BIO-CAT Microbials please contact Human Resources at TammyP@bio-cat.com
BIO-CAT Microbials is a GMP fermentation company in Shakopee, MN that specializes in the manufacturing of food-grade Bacillus-based products for use in crop agriculture and human and animal nutrition. We are SQF certified and have on-site fermentation with downstream product processing including centrifugation, spray drying, and blending. From soil inoculants to animal health and probiotics, we strive for quality and integrity with every custom solution we produce.
We are seeking a fermentation scientist to join our research and development team. The fermentation scientist will conduct research with a focus on development of new bioprocesses and optimization of existing fermentation processes for bacterial spore production. In this role, you will work individually and collaboratively to develop, plan, and execute fermentation experimental designs at lab and pilot scales and effectively communicate results to key stakeholders.
- Lead or co-lead innovative research projects from the planning, design, and execution stages to support lab- and pilot-scale microbial fermentation process development, improvement, and validation.
- Utilize detailed technical knowledge and expertise in one or more of the fields of microbial metabolism, microbial physiology, bacterial spore production and fermentation (bench and pilot scale).
- Execute fermentation (stirred bioreactor) experiments individually or as part of a team with a high level of excellence to ensure precise and accurate data.
- Identify technical strategies and design scale-down studies to provide a data-driven approach to process optimization and resolution of process deviations.
- Provide technical insight into experimental design and perform data analysis using analytical tools such as MiniTab.
- Provide support for tech transfer, process characterization, process validation, and manufacturing campaigns.
- Prepare samples for analysis and run microbial assays.
- Process and analyze data and create tables and graphs to enable development of sound conclusions.
- Draft detailed technical reports, summary updates, scientific manuscripts, and presentations for trade shows and conferences.
- Communicate experimental outcomes and well-reasoned recommendations for future work.
- Handle basic issues and troubleshoot equipment problems, while escalating more complex issues to appropriate staff.
- Expertise in microbial physiology/metabolism with experience in industrial microbiology.
- Experience with aerobic and anaerobic bacterial culturing, with preferred experience with spore forming bacteria and difficult-to-culture microorganisms.
- Ability to work independently, embracing cross-organizational collaboration with scientists, production personnel, and sales and marketing teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate through writing and presentations.
- Methodical with good attention to detail and exceptional documentation skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in biochemical engineering, chemical engineering, industrial microbiology or biochemistry or related field.
- 5+ years of experience with lab or pilot scale fermentation equipment (stirred bioreactors), microbial techniques, math and quantification skills, and strain maintenance
- Demonstrated understanding of fermentation equipment operation, troubleshooting and maintenance
- Knowledge and application of microbial physiology and microbial metabolism
- Knowledge of fermentation principles relevant to bioprocess development
- Master’s degree or other post-secondary degree in biochemical engineering, chemical engineering, industrial microbiology or biochemistry
- Previous successful technology transfer and experience in bioprocess engineering and/or commercial manufacturing (fermentation)
- Prior experience with leading projects and mentoring technical staff
Will require some flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends, as fermentation processes often do not follow rigid schedules.
Relocation assistance may be provided for this position.
BIO-CAT Microbials offers comprehensive compensation packages including salary, paid time off, health insurance, and 401k match.
BIO-CAT and BIO-CAT Microbials are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law.